Skip to main content
Skip to main content
Change Language:

Copyright © 2022 Toronto Seniors Housing Corporation

Reporting changes to your income

The City of Toronto and the Province of Ontario set the rules for rent-geared-to-income subsidies. If your income, asset or household composition changes, you must report the change in writing or in person to your Seniors Services Coordinator within 30 days. If you do not report these changes, you could be charged for back rent and/or lose your rent-geared-to-income subsidy. Your rent will then be raised to market rent and you could face eviction if your rental account is in arrears. If you have questions about reporting income, asset or household composition changes, speak with your Seniors Services Coordinator.

When do you need to complete the Household Income and Assets Review Form?

Before signing a lease

    • when you move into Toronto Seniors Housing for the first time
    • when you transfer to a different RGI unit in Toronto Seniors Housing
    • when a leaseholder is being added or removed

At your annual rent review time

The Annual Review Package is mailed to all households once every year. By law, Toronto Seniors Housing must review the income and assets for each person in your household. Based on this review we decide if you still qualify for a rent-geared-to-income (RGI) subsidy.

When you have an income, asset or household composition change outside your annual rent review time

Households are required by law to report changes when they happen. These changes include:

  • change in income (increase or decrease in monthly salary)
  • change of income source (for example: changing from Employment Income to Employment Insurance Benefits, Social Assistance, Workplace Safety and Insurance Benefit, Canada Pension Plan, Old Age Security, Guaranteed Income Supplement, Guaranteed Annual Income Support, Foreign Pension, etc.)
  • change of job (for example: being promoted, starting or leaving a job)
  • change in asset composition (for example: purchasing a new investment or property)
  • change in household composition (for example: someone moves in or out of the unit)

For more information, contact your Seniors Services Coordinator.

Any time your RGI eligibility needs to be verified

To report these changes, tenants must complete the Household Income and Assets Review Form (PDF).

Three things to remember when reporting changes:

1. Complete the Household Income and Assets Review Form.

    • Name all household members on the Household Income and Assets Review Form (PDF).
    • Household members who are 16 years or older must sign Parts A, B and C on pages 3 and 4 of the form.
    • A witness must sign and date Parts A, B, and C to verify your signature.
    • To add someone other than a newborn baby to your household, please also see the “Add/remove a household member” page for additional requirements

2. Show proof of your income and assets from all sources for each member of your household.

For more information, review the How to Show Proof of Household Income and Assets Guide (PDF).

3. Complete the Emergency Contact and Special Assistance Form.

Are you or someone in your household turning 65 this year?

When you or a member of your household turn 65, this may affect the total annual income for your household and the rent-geared-to-income amount you pay each month.

If you receive a pension from another country, you need to report this income to Toronto Seniors Housing.

Learn more about the Canada Pension Plan and Old Age Security, or call Service Canada at 1-800-622-6232 (TTY: 1-800-926-9105) for more information.