Skip to main content
Skip to main content
Change Language:

Copyright © 2024 Toronto Seniors Housing Corporation

Your Unit

Each housing unit is equipped with a fridge and stove, accessories and amenities to meet the needs of our tenants. Each feature comes with rules and regulations to ensure the safety and quality of your unit, which is a primary focus for Toronto Seniors Housing. 

Moving in

​​​​Before you move in, your home is cleaned, repaired and inspected. It is also sprayed for pests, if needed.

Your Superintendent will do a move-in inspection with you and will go through the types of changes you c​an and cannot make to your home. He or she will also note any repairs that you point out, explain to you what chargebacks are and give you a list of chargebacks for your home. ​​

Elevators and deliveries

​Each Toronto Seniors Housing property is different.​

Moving in

  • If you are moving into an apartment building, speak with your Superintendent to reserve an elevator. You can also contact the Tenant Support Centre at 416-945-0800. An agent will give you a reference number and arrange with your Superintendent to put the elevator on service.
  • On the day of your move, you must contact the Tenant Support Centre two hours before you move to have someone put the elevator on service.


  • ​If you are having small or large items, such as furniture, delivered to the building, ask your Superintendent about how deliveries are handled at your building.​

Keys and fobs

​​Toronto Seniors Housing will give you keys or fobs for your unit and for your mailbox. You may also receive security fobs to use for the building’s main entrance and other common spaces.

  • If you need extra copies of your key, talk to your Superintendent.
  • If you have lost your keys and need to have your locks changed, talk to your Superintendent. You ​may need to pay up to $99 to change the lock.
  • In an emergency or after hours, call the Tenant Support Centre at 416-945-0800. It may take one to four hours for someone to respond.
  • Tenants are not allowed to change or add locks. Adding or changing locks is a violation of your lease. If your lock has to be broken to enter your unit, you will be charged for the repairs.​
  • Do not give copies of your keys or fobs to people who are not part of your household. This puts everyone’s safety at risk and violates your lease.
  • When you move out, return your keys to your Superintendent on your last day.

Important: You will be charged up to $99 to replace locks and $25 for replacement fobs. (These charges may change in the future. This page will be updated as changes are made.)


For your safety: Never leave children or pets alone on your balcony.

These items are not allowed on your balcony.

  • Carpets: Wet carpets can damage concrete and wood and can inconvenience your neighbour ​below.
  • Barbecues: They are fire hazards.​​

Your balcony is not a clothesline. Use a drying rack to dry clothes.

Your balcony is not for storage. It creates a fire hazard. You will be asked to clean it up.

Your balcony is not a home for birds. Do not feed or house birds on your balcony.

Never throw anything off your balcony. You can seriously injure people below or cause damage to property if you do this. Put cigarette butts in an ashtray; you can be fined for throwing them off your balcony.

If you want to install pigeon netting, you must get written permission from your Regional Manager or their designate. The pigeon netting must meet fire safety regulations (for example: the netting should be made of fire-resistant materials).

If you want to put a satellite dish on your balcony, you must get written permission from your Regional Manager or their designate. Learn more about​ installing a satellite dish​​​​​.

Be mindful when watering your plants or washing your balcony. Do not let the dirty water run off your balcony and drip down to your neighbour’s balcony.


​Every Toronto Seniors Housing unit comes with a fridge and stove. They will work better if you clean them regularly. If your fridge or stove needs to be repaired, call the Tenant Support Centre at 416-945-0800. Agents can arrange for service during regular business hours.​

Many buildings have common laundry rooms that are open and closed at​ specific times. Tenants are not permitted to install a washing machine, dryer, or dishwasher in their homes. Installing these machines in your home can damage the plumbing in your building, cause floods or loss of water for you or your neighbours, or create other problems. If you install appliances without written consent, they will be removed and you will be charged by the landlord for any repairs that are needed.

Accessing Your Unit

​​​Your unit is your home and we respect this fact. However, there may be times when Toronto Seniors Housing or Property Management staff and contractors need to enter it. They may need to enter your unit in an emergency, to make repairs, to inspect your unit, or to show it to new tenants if you are moving out.​​​

The Residential Tenancies Act requires that we give you at least 24 hours’ written notice before entering ​your unit, except in the case of an emergency.​

Annual unit inspections

​​​Once every year, your Superintendent will inspect your unit to make sure:​

  1. Your unit’s smoke alarms (and carbon monoxide alarms, if applicable) are working.
  2. Window screens are not damaged and window locks are in place and not tampered with.
  3. Appliances are clean and working​.
  4. There is no excessive clutter or fire hazards.
  5. There are no major repairs needed.

​The annual unit inspection is a time to check for capital repair needs and compliance with municipal licensing standards. For example: if you are living in a townhouse, during the annual unit inspection, staff will make sure there are no modifications in the basement.​​

Unit condition follow-up process

​​​​Toronto Seniors Housing inspects tenant units every year. This is important work. It’s our chance to make sure the units are livable and in a good state of repair.

Common issues
During annual unit inspections, we find other problems such as:

  • excessive clutter
  • fire safety violations
  • pests
  • cleanliness/health hazards concerns

Sometimes, families, caseworkers, neighbours or staff performing other duties report or flag unit conditions.

How we help

Toronto Seniors Housing staff have been trained on how to support tenants with units that have these problems. There are four stages for staff to follow:

  • Stage 1: Identify. Staff make note of units​ with concerns.
  • Stage 2: Notify. Staff inform tenants about concerns with their unit.
  • Stage 3: Plan. Staff support tenants to develop a plan to improve their unit.
  • Stage 4: Follow-up/resolution. Staff visit unit to ensure the plan is working and the unit condition is maintained.

This helps staff:

  • decide how to respond to urgent problems
  • prioritize cases
  • work with the City and other external partners
  • work with tenants towards realistic progress
  • use the legal process when working with tenants to keep them housed

Review Toronto Community ​Housing’s policy on evictions for cause (PDF).​

Accessibility Program for tenants

​​​​​The Accessibility Program gives tenants living with disabilities a chance to work with staff and others to make accessible improvements to their units and common areas so they can participate in community life.

The program supports:

The success of the Accessibility Program relies on the cooperation of staff, tenants, family members and agencies to make cost-effective modifications for tenants. Sometimes a tenant may have to relocate to a different unit​​ or building because it is the best way to meet the request. ​

When making accessible improvements to common areas in buildings with elevators, tenants and staff should focus on front entrances, recreation spaces, parking and laundry rooms.


Staff need your completed form(s) before they can move ahead with your request.

Who should complete the forms? ​

A licensed health care professional or practitioner must complete the forms.​


Contact us if you need more information:


​​Do you have insurance for your belongings? You are responsible, under your lease, for getting insurance for your belongings. This type of insurance is usually called contents insurance or renters’ insurance.

Toronto Seniors Housing’s insurance will not pay to replace your belongings if something such as fire, flood, or other emergency damages your unit.

If your unit is damaged by flood, fire or any other incident, insurance can help you pay to replace your belongings. It may also help pay for legal costs if your actions cause damage, for example: if your actions cause a fire. It may also cover the cost of a hotel stay or a replacement unit if you have to leave your unit for a period of time because of the damage or the emergency.

If some or all of your income is from Ontario Works or the Ontario Disability Support Program, these programs may cover the cost of contents insurance. You need to speak with your caseworker for more information.​

You can get contents insurance from any insurance provider you choose. One option is Marsh Canada, which provides affordable insurance designed for tenants who live in social housing. For information about rates and coverage, visit the HSC Tenant Insurance Program website​ or call 1-866-940-5111.

Window safety

Window locks and other safety devices are there to keep you safe

Window locks are used in apartment buildings to protect people and pets from falling through window screens. Windows can be opened 4 inches (or about 10 centimetres) to let in fresh air while keeping you safe.

Window screens are designed to keep insects of your unit but are not strong enough to prevent children or pets from falling through them.

Never damage, tamper with, or remove window locks or screens in your home.


  • Missing locks or screens can lead to falls, causing serious injuries or death.
  • Tampering with window locks or screens puts your safety at risk and violates the terms of your lease. It could lead to eviction. You will also be charged for the repairs.

What if my window lock or screen needs repair?
Report any window locks or screens that need repair by talking to your superintendent or by contacting the Tenant Support Centre at or 416-945-0800